With our close connections with Abbey Veterinary Services all cytology and histopathology samples are read by board certified pathologists. All of the pathologists have been in practice and this enables a practical, clinically relevant approach to diagnostic histopathology. All of the pathologists have additional qualifications in veterinary pathology or are currently training for additional qualifications. The majority of the samples are reported within 24 hours but the quality of the interpretation is not compromised by the speed of turnaround.
The pathology staff’s interest does not stop at the point of diagnosis and are continually involved in research in veterinary medicine. We have contributed to numerous publications based upon both the samples that our clients send us and also in collaboration with other veterinary centres and universities.
Their aim is to always offer a friendly and helpful service primarily to veterinary practitioners. The NationWide database enables fast retrieval of information about previous biopsies and to store data such as the original submission details and associated bacteriology and other clinical information.
Bones require decalcification, which softens bone so it can be cut by our microtomes. This may take a couple of days or up to a week, depending on the sample.
We are happy to receive tissues from small animals which have been necropsied i.e. kittens, puppies, small mammals, birds, fish and reptiles. Unfortunately we are not able to accept whole animals for post mortem (except when small exotics are unable to be necropsied and sent whole in formalin).
We do not charge extra for multiple slides if they are from 1 or 2 sites. If they are from multiple sites than an extra charge will be incurred.
Fine Needle Aspirate & Washes
Fluid Analysis Cytology, total protein + SG
Bone marrow smear (please phone first)
Synovial fluid – cytology
Added Value Services
- There is NO EXTRA CHARGE for more than one tissue per submission (histopathology)
- There is NO EXTRA CHARGE for common special stains such as Z-N or PAS
- Duplicate slides are provided FREE OF CHARGE on request
- Digital photographs, for selected cases, are provided FREE OF CHARGE on request
- Postage-paid mailers and good quality used (but reusable) pots and padded envelopes are supplied for histopathology and cytology services
- Please call in regard to ANY specific testing requirements you may have, or for advice on how to collect and submit appropriate samples
- Supplies of sample tubes, mailers, submission request forms, etc, can be ordered by telephone or email